Information and university updates about COVID-19 and CARES Act Funds.

Teacher Licensing and Renewal

A teachers white board.

Why study teacher licensing and renewal?

USF’s Teaching License program offers multiple options for new and returning teachers.

New and Returning Teachers

If you have a bachelor’s degree in a non-education field, you are eligible to earn a teaching license through our Teaching License program. If you have an existing license, you can add subject and content areas through the program.

Our Licensing Advisor will evaluate your official transcripts (from all prior colleges) to determine which courses are needed for the specific teaching license.

License Renewal

USF’s Education department also offers coursework to renew an existing education license.

Mild and Intense Intervention Licensing

To earn a license in mild intervention, you can complete USF’s undergraduate Special Education program or online Master of Science in Education program.

Intense intervention licensure is only available through the online master’s program.

Transition to Teaching Online Programs

USF offers online Transition to Teaching programs in Visual Art Education (P-12), Secondary Education (5-12), and Special Education (P-12) with licensure in Mild Intervention or Intense Intervention.

Take the first step:
Request Information


Upon completion of the Teacher Licensing and License Renewal programs, you can apply your licensing coursework toward a Master of Science in Education.

Start Here!

To learn more about Teacher Licensing and License Renewal (including to see if your previous coursework applies toward licensing), contact:

Kelly Rothgeb
260-399-7700 ext. 8415

The licensing advisor serves as a liaison between students and the Office of Educator Effectiveness and Licensing (OEEL), the Indiana Department of Education licensing agency.


The Department of Education is accredited by the Indiana Department of Education and the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP), which was previously known as the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE).

Ready to start?

Apply Now

Your first step to becoming a USF Cougar is applying for admission. our online application makes the process as convenient as possible.

Apply Now

Vist USF

Whether you know what you want to see, who you want to meet or are just exploring your options, we will personalize your campus visit to fit your needs.

Academic Plan

An academic plan is a general blueprint showing how one might complete the degree, semester by semester. Get an idea on what each semester could look like.